Monday, May 30, 2005

Universal Plug and Play

I've been doing some reading on UPnP as a part of developing right file transfer in Jabber. The whole thing seems promising, but I don't know if it's going to be a 'silver bullet' that would resolve all the problems. It seems that it is possible to query DSL modem for its outside IP address, but the uses would need to set up the port forwarding to make the Target user able to connect to it. This port number would have to be set somewhere in Jabber client; it could be typed in by hand or received - again - from UPnP device, provided that it supports it (right now I'm not sure if it can).

I wanted to test it today with my DSL setup but apparently, UPnP is blocked on my device and, because of the fact that administation of it lies beyond my control, I can't try to enable it. I've sent the proper request though, and I hope that I will be able to check it out soon. There is a Java API for UPnP around, and I'm going to try it as soon as the issue with port blocking is resolved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home