Friday, December 30, 2005

SpeedTouch 330 USB ADSL modem & Linux

Right now I'm in Poland and my parents are proud (sic!) subscribers to local ISP. In its cheapest option it is using simple USB based ADSL modem made by Thompson called SpeedTouch 330. It took me more than a week to get it working (christmas vacation or not, I can't stop h4ckIng!!! :-) so I thought I should put here some notes.

First thing: forget about Linux drivers that come on the CD - anyone with modern distribution using hotplug subsystem will not get it working because it comes with modem driver that sits in user- instead of kernelspace (at least I have tried to get it to worked and failed). Instead, I have used kernel driver (comes in standard 2.6.15 kernel). The modem need specially prepared firmware that is loaded bu hotplug subsystem. All information can be found here (Polish only),

Now it works all right... and I can ditch Windoze. V!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home