Thursday, June 23, 2005

New kernel (2.6.12) & Beagle

Lured by possbility to run desktop search engine on my laptop, I've decided to give Beagle a go. As it turned out, it required installation of new kernel (2.6.12), so I did that (no real problems with it). I have run into some difficulties: wireless card driver refused to compile cleanly because of earlier 'Software suspend' patch applied. Quick patch did the trick:

poppy:/usr/src/ipw2100-1.1.0# diff ipw2100.c ipw2100.c.orig


(this at least worked for me!).

Beagle needed mono to run (the code is written in C#) and I had some problems with getting proper versions of packages. mono version 1.0.5 comes with standard Ubuntu distribution; version 1.1.7, available from Ubuntu backports is needed. My system couldn't decide which version was 'newer' and tried to get 1.0.5 of mono and 1.1.7 of mono-devel, which was not allowed. My quick and dirt hack for that was to uncomment entries in /etc/apt/sources.list for main Ubuntu repository, doing 'apt update' and downloading the needed packages.

In the end, I was able to get Beagle running. The search works ok, although it needs to be fine-tuned to search through mail contacts, IM conversations etc. I'll do it when I'm back from vacation.

This entry will also be updated by then.


Post a Comment

<< Home